I know how hesitant women can be to try newer trends and I am even one of them. I’ve learned how to do some of the trends without fully committing to them, so I recently polled my Facebook group to see what a trend is that they are afraid to try. Pattern mixing is one of them, so I am giving some easy foolproof tips to pattern mix like a pro!
I am by no means a professional, but I have been able to step out of my pattern-mixing box after following these tips! I hope they help you, too!
Try to choose your patterns with these tips:
- Subtle/Bold Mix – Pick one bold and one subtle pattern. If they’re both bold then it’s just too much, but if you mix a subtle with a bolder pattern they just are easier to flow. Two subtle patterns are also okay, but I try to stick to one bold and one subtle like this gingham and floral.
- Complementing Colors – Choose colors that compliment one another. For this look, I chose red floral and black gingham because red and black/white complement one another.
- Black and White – If you aren’t sure, just go for black and white mixing. Black and white will always go together so choose a pattern that has those colors and you’re good to go!
- Leopard – Leopard is also a neutral in my book. It goes with stripes, gingham, plaid, floral…it goes with everything, so mix away with leopard print!
- Neutral Accent – Choose your accent pieces to be shoes, bag or accessories that go with one of the patterns. Black is usually a perfect go-to, but nude, white, black or brown are usually safe!
Will you be trying to pattern mix soon? Just DO IT!! It’s a fun way to try a new trend with items already in your closet! Aren’t sure about these tips? Ask a friend! Snap a picture and send it to a friend to see if it’s pleasing the eye! I’d be happy to do this for you – just snapchat or IG me! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!
This post contains affiliate links.
Photography by Monica Bartels Photography.